The blue-eyed islanders puzzle

Università, borse di studio, notizie scientifiche, conferenze, iniziative varie...
Rispondi
ngshya

The blue-eyed islanders puzzle

Messaggio da ngshya »

There is an island upon which a tribe resides. The tribe consists of 1000 people, with various eye colours. Yet, their religion forbids them to know their own eye color, or even to discuss the topic; thus, each resident can (and does) see the eye colors of all other residents, but has no way of discovering his or her own (there are no reflective surfaces). If a tribesperson does discover his or her own eye color, then their religion compels them to commit ritual suicide at noon the following day in the village square for all to witness. All the tribespeople are highly logical and devout, and they all know that each other is also highly logical and devout (and they all know that they all know that each other is highly logical and devout, and so forth).

Of the 1000 islanders, it turns out that 100 of them have blue eyes and 900 of them have brown eyes, although the islanders are not initially aware of these statistics (each of them can of course only see 999 of the 1000 tribespeople).

One day, a blue-eyed foreigner visits to the island and wins the complete trust of the tribe.

One evening, he addresses the entire tribe to thank them for their hospitality.

However, not knowing the customs, the foreigner makes the mistake of mentioning eye color in his address, remarking “how unusual it is to see another blue-eyed person like myself in this region of the world”.

What effect, if anything, does this faux pas have on the tribe?
http://terrytao.wordpress.com/2008/02/0 ... rs-puzzle/

Me l'avevano raccontato un paio di anni fa ma non ci avevo pensato più di tanto... non ho ancora letto i commenti, ma invito a tutti a pensarci. In particolare, riporto le due argomentazioni che Terence Tao ha scritto sul suo blog.
Argument 1. The foreigner has no effect, because his comments do not tell the tribe anything that they do not already know (everyone in the tribe can already see that there are several blue-eyed people in their tribe).

Argument 2. 100 days after the address, all the blue eyed people commit suicide. This is proven as a special case of

Proposition. Suppose that the tribe had n blue-eyed people for some positive integer n. Then n days after the traveller’s address, all n blue-eyed people commit suicide.

Proof: We induct on n. When n=1, the single blue-eyed person realizes that the traveler is referring to him or her, and thus commits suicide on the next day. Now suppose inductively that n is larger than 1. Each blue-eyed person will reason as follows: "If I am not blue-eyed, then there will only be n-1 blue-eyed people on this island, and so they will all commit suicide n-1 days after the traveler's address". But when n-1 days pass, none of the blue-eyed people do so (because at that stage they have no evidence that they themselves are blue-eyed). After nobody commits suicide on the [tex](n-1)^{st}[/tex] day, each of the blue eyed people then realizes that they themselves must have blue eyes, and will then commit suicide on the [tex]n^{th}[/tex] day.
Che ne pensate?
afullo
Contatta:

Re: The blue-eyed islanders puzzle

Messaggio da afullo »

A primo acchito mi dà l'idea di induzione fallata (tipo la dimostrazione che tutti i libri hanno lo stesso titolo). ;)
ngshya

Messaggio da ngshya »

Avevo pensato così all'inizio, però non riesco a trovare il punto in cui ha cannato l'induzione... sto cominciando a pensare che forse è la prima argomentazione ad essere sbagliata.
Rosinaldo

Messaggio da Rosinaldo »

Secondo me è giusta la seconda. Ecco come la vedo, ma probabilmente dico cose a caso e ovvie.
Partiamo dai due casi semplici dell'induzione per capirne l'esattezza:

- se sull'isola ci fosse una sola persona con gli occhi azzurri l'informazione che porta lo straniero è evidente. Il giorno dopo ci sarebbe un suicidio.

- se sull'isola ci fossero 2 sole persone con gli occhi azzurri queste prima dell'arrivo dello straniero non si suiciderebbero (vedono entrambe 1 persona con gli occhi azzurri e potrebbero pensare di avere gli occhi gialli). Nel momento in cui arriva il viaggiatore aggiunge in realtà informazione: dicendo "sull'isola c'è almeno una persona con gli occhi azzurri" è chiaro che queste due persone pensino "Io vedo un'altra persona con gli occhi azzurri se questa non si fa fuori al primo giorno significa che pure io ho gli occhi azzurri" mentre tutte le altre 998 pensino "Io vedo 2 persone con gli occhi azzurri se dopo 2 giorni non si sono fatte fuori pure io ho gli occhi azzurri e mi suiciderò dopo 3 giorni"

-I passi successivi sono a questo punto chiari.

Il punto centrale è capire quale informazioni porti lo straniero: è vero che così facendo non dice nulla di nuovo (tutti vedono delle persone con gli occhi azzurri) eppure così dicendo scatena dei ragionamenti che portano al suicidio di k persone.
Rispondi